My Writing Process - Novels
For this small post, I thought I’d share with you a bit about how I write. For those of you unaware, not only am I a reader, but also a writer.
I mean come on, everyone is.
With that, I’m pretty amateur. I’ve had two of my poems published by Bond University and one of my short stories published by Gold Coast Libraries, but besides that I’m still a broke writer. Sad life.
Anywho, at the moment I have something in the works involving a dystopian world – but that’s a secret I’ll never tell. (You all just whispered XOXO Gossip Girl, I HEARD YOU). But the question is, how do I come up with my ideas?
The answer: people watching and songs.
I’m a visual writer in the sense that my imagine runs wild when I have something realistic to grip onto. Description comes easier when I’m seeing facial expressions, gestures and actions firsthand rather than imagining it. Not only does people watching help me write, it also has made me a master manipulator, but that’s another story.
But to really get a grip on a scene or chapter, I like assigning songs to each. Lyrics, beats and rhythm all help me decide the tone of the chapter. Will it be fast-paced or slow? Will the plot thicken or all fall apart? Will a character learn something or fall further into mess? Yes, for me, it’s all decided by my mood listening to songs. Gotta love it.
Here’s a list of the playlist for my not-even-slightly-written new novel, The Void:
- A Different Way by DJ Snake and Lauv
- Wolves by Selena Gomez
- Stargazing by Kygo and Justin Jesso
- Anyway by Tyron Hapi
- Lose My Mind by Dean Lewis
- Water by Jake Garratt
- Don’t Blame Me by Taylor Swift
- Him & I by G-Eazy and Halsey
- Bruises by Lewis Capaldi
- Sober by G-Eazy and Charlie Puth
- We Won’t by Jaymes Young
- Fake Love by BTS
- We Won’t Run by Sarah Blasko
- 11 Blocks by Wrabel
- Real Friends by Camilla Cabello
- River by Eminem and Ed Sheeran
- I Did Something Bad by Taylor Swift
- Wait by Martin Jessen
- Pray For Me by The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar
- Heaven by Julia Michaels
- Love Lies by Khalid and Normani
- Never Enough by Loren Allred
- Me So Bad by Tinashe, Ty Dolla $ign and French Montana
- Drift Away by Sons of Zion
- Somebody Special by Nina Nesbitt
- Monster by CXLOE
- Drink About by Seeb and Dagny
- Pyschopath by Charlotte Lawrence
- Lovely by Billie Eilish and Khalid
- Dazed and Confused by Ruel
- Stormy Love by ZHU and JOY
- Solo by Clean Bandit and Demi Lovato
- Youngblood by 5SOS
- Start Again by OneRepublic and Logic
- 1950 by King Princess
- Younger by Ruel
- Call Out My Name by The Weeknd
- Ocean Eyes by Billie Eilish
- Wake Me When It’s Quiet by Hilda and Don Diablo
- Whatever It Takes by Imagine Dragons
- Better Now by Post Malone
As you can see from that extensive list, I listen to a whole lot of genres and songwriters. It helps my creative thought eb and flow better when I’m thinking up ideas.
The actual plot for this novel gets decided on the go. I have a massive page of notes on my iPhone that no matter the time or place, if I have an idea I add it, if I see someone I take a picture and add it, if I see a quote I write it in. This means that the ideas are super messy at the moment, but as I get further into the ideas, they all sort of work themselves out.
SO that’s my thought process on how I write and prepare my novels.
Leave how you guys create in the comments, would love to hear your processes!